Saturday 1 January 2011

Thursday 23rd December

Since K is now off work for Christmas, I head out to work leaving her snoozing, hung over, in bed. While she has a nice day with her sister planned, I spend the day frantically clicking the dreaded 'text to columns' on Excel, formatting names of authors and efficiently colour-coding literally yards of spreadsheet real estate. Not the most fun way to spend the day - but I do at least get a job finished that's been hanging over me for a while in far less time than I had expected it would take.

It also makes the day (my last full one before Christmas) go by nice and quickly - and soon I'm on my way home. K calls and asks me to swing by Iceland for nibbles to go with our fancy pre-Christmas meal of baked Camembert and home made garlic bread, so I grab a couple of cheapo bags of frozen party snacks and head back.

The girls already have some wine underway and the pre-Christmas party (a "London Christmas" if you will) is ready to go. Accordingly we exchange presents - all apart from a very few small ones that are worth taking all the way to Dorset and back. K unwraps my present to her, (a bright red retro-style record player that she had asked for well over a year ago but had seemed to have forgotten about - this goes down well) and I open some nice things from New Zealand (courtesy of K's twin) and various video games, DVDs and vouchers from various siblings and parents.

Contented, for now, we get on with the dinner - which is delicious - and drink a little more in front of the telly before Mike and Ellie wander round from Crouch End. We have fun catching up and watching Peep Show and Men Behaving Badly; until it gets to around midnight and I remember that I do actually have to be at work tomorrow. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment